Hello CVBBA Members –
I am happy to report that the state of the industry and the state of your Association is excellent. In addition, 2017 is shaping up to be one of the best years in recent memory. Both the M&A Source and BizBuySell reported record years for businesses sold, and the CVBBA is poised to reach an all-time high membership level in 2017.
Your board just concluded its annual one-day planning meeting, welcoming our newest members Dr. Gary Ackerman, Sharon Heaton, Mike Metzger, and David Worrell. I look forward to the energy, diversity, and enthusiasm the 2017 board brings to the table. We revisited (through a lively discussion) the CVBBA’s goals and priorities, and reaffirmed that our focus is on making our business broker members and our affiliate members more successful.
We will do this by our continued commitment to:
• Providing convenient access to advanced education, training, and best practices
• Providing opportunities to network and build relationships with other business brokers and members of the deal community
• Providing free or discounted access to tools and resources to make your daily work more efficient and effective, and enable you to provide a better experience for your clients and customers
• Supporting industry legislative efforts to work towards passing The Small Business Mergers, Acquisitions, Sales and Brokerage Simplification Act of 2017 (HR 477)
• Promoting professional development and raising the bar across our industry by growing our membership base, reaching out to non-members and industry experts, making them aware of what the CVBBA has to offer
This year’s main event, our Annual Conference, will be held in Charlotte on Friday, September 22. The day before will be devoted to providing IBBA and non-IBBA courses of interest to our members. This year’s conference will build on the previous years’ popular sessions along with some new twists – all focused on making our members more successful.
Our LinkedIn Group site continues to grow in membership (up to 135 from 35 just a couple of years ago). We have rededicated ourselves to making sure we share pertinent, current topics and information about the industry and the Association on a periodic basis. If you aren’t a member of the LinkedIn Group, please join. If you are a member, please participate, as the more you share, the more valuable it is as a resource for all of our members.
As one of our goals is to grow our membership base and create more networking opportunities with additional professionals, the Board unanimously approved the renewal of our $75 referral program. Simply put, if you refer a new member, you will receive a $75 credit towards your next annual dues (up to a total of $200). I challenge each member to recruit at least one new member in 2017.
As your Board clearly understands that we are here to serve you, we will be sending out a survey later this year to get your input on a variety of issues. This survey is extremely important as we grow and plan our future as an organization. PLEASE take the time to complete it when it arrives – your input matters. In addition, please feel free to reach out to any of the Board Members with questions, comments, or if you would like to get involved. Our contact information is below.
Finally, if you have not renewed your membership yet, please do so today and save Judy the effort of chasing you down!
In your service,
Ron Buck, BCI, CMAI, ABI
2017 CVBBA President
Regional Director, Murphy Business & Financial – Carolinas